Friday, December 28, 2012

I Am Lucky Bird by Fleur Philips

reviewed by Laura Kay

This is one of those books I wasn't completely sure about. I mean the story sounded so compelling to me, but at the same time I knew it was going to be dealing with some pretty tough topics as I read.

Lucky Bird is a twelve year old girl, a loner, a girl who was found in a dumpster behind a bar. The only person in her life who ever loved her was her "mother", AnnMarie. Then AnnMarie mysteriously disappears. Lucky is left alone with Marian, AnnMarie's abusive mother, whose drunken creepy boyfriend who seems to be watching her every move.

Just when Lucky seems to have made a new friend and found middle ground with Marian, her world closes in around her--imprisoning her. When Lucky is finally able to escape, she finds herself unable to let go of her past and drowns herself into a dark underworld. But with a name like hers you know that can't be the end. When her world goes completely black, she finally finds a safe and happy place.

But wait there is even more---

Let me say I could not hardly put this book down! I wanted to know what was next for Lucky and at the same time I wanted to know the back story of those around her. This book drew me into Lucky's world. I wanted to reach out and help her. I kept hoping for more, hoping for better for her.

Fleur Philips wrote a story that dealt with some very dark themes and yet wrote it all in such a way you could read it with out feeling like it was to graphic. This is just a non stop book, beautifully written. I am highly recommending it!

*Note this is a YA book, but I would really say it's for a mature YA/Adult.

Follow Fleur Philips

Buy a copy of I Am Lucky Bird by Fleur Philips


*The books we review on this site (A NOVEL REVIEW) are sent to us by publishers, authors or downloaded from Netgalley. This is a very common practice.  We never take payments for these reviews and all the reviews on this site are our own thoughts and feelings and are not influenced.

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to read the secret life of bees. Have you read it? I heard it's really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for taking the time to read and review I Am Lucky Bird. What a wonderful review! Thanks! Fleur

    ReplyDelete