Friday, November 1, 2013

Just What Kind of Mother Are You? by Paula Daly



A searing and sinister thriller for readers who liked Gone Girl.

What if your best friend's child disappears? And it was all your fault.

A searing and sinister thriller for readers who liked Gone Girl.What if your best friend's child disappears? And it was all your fault. This is exactly what happens to Lisa Kallisto, overwhelmed working mother of three, one freezing December in the English Lake District. She takes her eye off the ball for just a moment and her whole world descends into the stuff of nightmares. Because, not only is thirteen-year-old Lucinda missing, and not only is it all Lisa's fault, but she's the second teenage girl to disappear within this small tightknit community over two weeks. The first girl turned up stripped bare, dumped on a busy high street, after suffering from a terrifying ordeal. 

Wracked with guilt over her mistake and after being publicly blamed by Lucinda's family, Lisa sets out to right the wrong. But as she begins peeling away the layers surrounding Lucinda's disappearance, Lisa learns that the small, posh, quiet town she lives in isn't what she thought it was, and her friends may not be who they appear, either.

My thoughts: I've been Lisa Kallisto. The mom who has said yes to too many things. Only after agreeing to just about everything, I soon find I can't handle hardly anything. This is Lisa. She wants to be a good mother, she wants to be a great mother and I believe is trying to compete without realizing it (don't we all on some level). She simply has to many balls in the air, I've been there. She needed to make a phone call--one simple phone call, but she simply got busy with life and didn't. The phone call she didn't make leads to the abduction of her daughter's best friend, Lucinda, a young thirteen year old girl. Lucinda's mother is a good friend of  Lisa's. How do you apologize--how do you live with that? You are responsible for a young girl gone missing.

Reading this almost seemed like a mission. I wanted to get it read and by reading it maybe Lucinda would make her way home. I know this sounds silly, but I couldn't put this book down. I wanted her home. I wanted everything to be ok, I wanted that sense of, "oh my goodness I can relate to Lisa--but I don't want to think about that" to end.

The novel is told with alternating perspectives of Lisa, Detective Joanne Aspinall, and a few small chapters of a dark voice that made my skin crawl. Detective Joanne is very different than Lisa. She is very cautious and meticulous. The two different perspectives really worked well with moving the novel forward as these two women try to put the pieces of what happened to Lucinda together.

I felt this was a can't put down thriller. With each passing chapter I felt like I knew even less that I did before-and I loved that I had no idea how this would end. And let me tell you I was not prepared for the ending! Be ready for staying up late to read this one! I am highly recommending Just What Kind of Mother Are You? by Paula Daly.

Follow Paula Daly on Twitter!

Buy your copy of Just What Kind of Mother Are You? by Paula Daly

No comments:

Post a Comment