Friday, November 15, 2013

THE FIVE W’S and HOW Of Kristina Riggle



Kristina Riggle lives and writes in West Michigan. She has published short stories in the Cimarron Review,Literary Mama, Espresso Fiction, and elsewhere, and she works as co-editor for fiction at Literary Mama. Kristina was a full-time newspaper reporter before turning her attention to creative writing. As well as writing, she enjoys reading, running, dabbling in (very) amateur musical theatre, and spending lots of time with her husband, two kids and dog.

WHO? Who are you besides a writer? 
A mom, a reader, and an amateur musical theater aspirant. I was in the chorus of a show a long time ago, and I really want to do it again someday when the magical combination of schedule, show and a successful audition align. My character shoes are in my closet, just waiting.


WHAT? What do you enjoy doing other than writing in your spare time?
Reading, of course. I volunteer for Relay for Life in my community, which is the American Cancer Society’s major fundraising event. I have recently taken up running, and my goal is to get my 5k under 30 minutes by next spring.

WHEN? When did you know you wanted to be a writer?
As far back as I can remember. I have been telling stories and writing stories since I could read.

WHERE? Where do you write? 
At home, either in my office (which gets very cold in the winter as it doesn’t have its own heating vent) or the kitchen table. On nice days I like to write out on the deck. I confess I don’t get the coffee shop writing thing, unless you have to flee your house because of chaos at home. I have done that myself but it’s not ideal. Coffee shops are often still noisy and bustling. I mean, they are meant to be social spaces.
I’d think that the best off-site writing spot would be a library. I do that once in a great while if I crave a change of scenery.

WHY? Why do you write?
Because I love it and I’m good at it, and I’m most “me” when  I’m writing.


How? Has your writing success changed your life? 
“Success” is hard to define, but I’ll say this much: being able to help support my family with what I love to do is a tremendous blessing and when I’m having a bad writing day (or a bad publishing-biz day, which is not the same thing) I try to keep gratitude foremost in my mind. I have the best job I could ever have, right now. How many people get to say that?

Thank-you so much for joining us here on A Novel Review, Kristina! Good luck on reaching your 5k goal!

Make sure you check out my review of THE WHOLE GOLDEN WORLD by Kristina Riggle!

Buy a copy of The Whole Golden World by Kristina Riggle 

Follow Kristina Riggle 


No comments:

Post a Comment