Wednesday, December 18, 2013

THE FIVE W’S and How Of Heather Webb

Heather Webb grew up a military brat and naturally became obsessed with travel, culture, and languages. She put her degrees to good use teaching high school French for nearly a decade before turning to full time novel writing and freelance editing. Her debut, BECOMING JOSEPHINE will release December 31, 2013 from Plume/Penguin.

When not writing, Heather flexes her foodie skills or looks for excuses to head to the other side of the world. She loves to chitchat on Twitter with new reader friends or writers (@msheatherwebb) or via her blog (http://www.HeatherWebb.net) Stop on by!




WHO? Who are you besides a writer?
Besides a writer, I’m a freelance editor and blogger, a mom, a foodie, and a culture junkie. I also happen to be a former high school teacher and track coach.
WHAT? What do you enjoy doing other than writing in your spare time?
Other than family time, I really love experimenting in the kitchen. I’m a total cookbook slut. I collect those with lots of beautiful pictures and innovative ingredients, and I especially enjoy cookbooks with cultural tidbits in them. And baking…ahhhh…my Achilles heel. I adore it. Also very high on the list is traveling and foreign films.
WHEN? When did you know you wanted to be a writer?
I’ve been writing all my life in various forms, though none of it was serious. It didn’t occur to me to write a book until I had been teaching several years. Even then, I didn’t really wrap my brain around the idea until I had resigned from work to raise my kids. Between naps and feedings, I had quiet time in my head. That’s when all the creative energy took me by storm.
WHERE? Where do you write?
The bulk of my writing is done at a couple of coffee shops I love in town. It’s very hard to get work done when the kiddos are home. But my youngest is finally in school part time so I’m starting to work some at home, too.
WHY? Why do you write?
Because I ADORE books, the human story, escaping to another life. I like to feel something, to believe in something. Books do all of this for me and so much more. I have always fawned over beautiful phrases and imagery. To give even a little of this to someone else, from my own hand, feels like such a gift. A little treasure I can leave them with and also give myself—spending all that time in this magical world.
How? Has your writing success changed your life?
Well, for one, it changed my career. No more full-time teaching for me. (If I can help it, that is) It has also changed the way I view my world. I’ve always been an observer of details, but now when I look/listen/smell something, my brain is immediately at work, looking for away to put that little piece of beauty into words. Writing success has also changed my stress level from moderately low to moderately high. This business is nuts, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything.




About the Book:

Rose sails from Martinique to Paris to trade her plantation ways and Creole black magic culture for love and adventure. But her haughty Parisian husband dashes her hopes when he abandons her amid the tumult of the French Revolution.

Through her savoir faire, Rose secures her footing in high society, reveling in handsome men and glitzy balls—until the heads of her friends begin to roll. After narrowly escaping death in the blood-drenched cells of Les Carmes prison, she reinvents herself as Josephine, a socialite of status and power.

Yet her youth is fading, and Josephine must choose between a precarious independence and the unwelcome love of an awkward suitor. Little does she know, he would become the most powerful man of his century—Napoleon Bonaparte.

BECOMING JOSEPHINE is a novel of one woman’s journey to find eternal love and stability, and ultimately to find herself.

 Learn more about Heather Webb by following her

Pre-Order your copy of BECOMING JOSEPHINE


Thanks so much for joining us, Heather!

I'll be reviewing Becoming Josephine in a few weeks! I can't wait to read it!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for having me, Laura! Happy holidays to you and everyone. :)

    ReplyDelete