Friday, May 9, 2014

The 5W's and How of Tracey Garvis Graves

Author of the USA Today, Wall Street Journal, and New York Times bestseller On the Island.


WHO? Who are you besides a writer?

I'm a wife, mother of two, twin sister, early bird, voracious reader, introvert extraordinaire, and life-of-the-party (when I want to be).

WHAT? What do you enjoy doing other than writing in your spare time?

I love to read, hang out on the computer (Facebook, mostly, even though I've been told the cool kids are over on Twitter), spend time with my family and friends, and listen to music.

WHEN? When did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I've wanted to be a writer since the age of twelve or thirteen. It was many, many years before I was able to call myself one.

WHERE? Where do you write?

I write in my office or in our family room. I have writing chairs in both locations. I can't sit at a desk. I have to type on a laptop, preferably with my dog at my feet.

WHY? Why do you write?

I write because there is no better feeling than watching the stories I've imagined come alive on the page. I write because the possibilities for new stories are literally endless. I write because nothing soothes me as much or can make me as happy as the act of creating.

HOW? How has your writing success changed your life?

When I wrote On the Island I was also working full-time. Thankfully, because of that book's success, I was able to make writing my full-time job. I love being my own boss and having the flexibility that comes with working from home.

Covet
by Tracey Garvis-Graves 

What if the life you wanted, and the woman you fell in love with, belonged to someone else? 


Chris and Claire Canton’s marriage is on life support. Downsized during the recession and out of work for a year, Chris copes by retreating to a dark place where no one can reach him, not even Claire. When he’s offered a position that will keep him away from home four nights a week, he dismisses Claire’s concern that time apart could be the one thing their fragile union can’t weather. Their suburban life may look idyllic on the outside, but Claire has never felt so disconnected from Chris, or so lonely.

Local police officer Daniel Rush used to have it all, but now he goes home to an empty house every night. He pulls Claire over during a routine traffic stop, and they run into each other again at the 4th of July parade. When Claire is hired to do some graphic design work for the police department, her friendship with Daniel grows, and soon they’re spending hours together.

Claire loves the way Daniel makes her feel, and the way his face lights up when she walks into the room. Daniel knows that Claire’s marital status means their relationship will never be anything other than platonic. But it doesn’t take long before Claire and Daniel are in way over their heads, and skating close to the line that Claire has sworn she’ll never cross.

Covet by Tracey Garvis-Graves 

Follow Tracey Garvis-Graves 

No comments:

Post a Comment