Friday, May 2, 2014

UP AT BUTTERNUT LAKE by Mary McNear

In the spirit of Kristin Hannah and Susan Wiggs, comes this debut novel-the first in an unforgettable new series by Mary McNear


It's been ten years since Allie Beckett crossed the threshold of her family cabin at Butternut Lake, Minnesota. Now, newly widowed after the death of her husband in Afghanistan, she's returned with her five-year-old son.

There, she reconnects with the friends she had in childhood-best girlfriend Jax, now married with three kids and one on the way, and Caroline, owner of the local coffee shop. What Allie doesn't count on is a newcomer to Butternut Lake, Walker Ford.

Up at Butternut Lake follows these four unforgettable characters across a single summer as they struggle with love, loss, and what it means to take risks, confront fears, and embrace life, in all of its excitement and unpredictability.

Allie Beckett could never have imagined, when she ran away from her old life, that she was running into a whole new life, up at the lake…

My thoughts:

This is one of those books where the pages just melted away! There isn't a character in this novel I didn't love. With every page I read I became more attached to everyone in this little town of Butternut. I mean, Allie has moved to a cabin in the woods--on a lake, dream location! I couldn't help, but feel empathy for Allie. She is a young widow with a small child. She has run from their home in the suburbs, because she wanted to spend her days living in her grief. She wanted to get away from people pushing her to move forward, but what happens when she gets to Butternut is she begins moving forward--but maybe quicker than she is ready for.

I honestly don't think I could have enjoyed a book more. I loved everything about it. The undertone was comforting and welcoming. The characters-perfect with all their flaws. Emotions were plentiful! I found myself smiling and then suddenly tears would be falling...Up At Butternut Lake ring true. People dealing with their pasts, trying to move forward. A novel of love of family, family not by blood, but by choice. I didn't want to leave Butternut, these characters. I want to go back and see them again and continue to watch their stories. This book will stay with me for awhile. Highly highly recommending!

Follow Mary McNear



Tuesday, April 15th: She’s Got Books on Her Mind
Wednesday, April 16th: Bibliotica
Thursday, April 17th: Kritters Ramblings
Monday, April 21st: Stephany Writes
Tuesday, April 22nd: Book Journey
Wednesday, April 23rd: A Chick Who Reads
Thursday, April 24th: Peeking Between the Pages
Tuesday, April 29th: Walking With Nora
Wednesday, April 30th: A Bookish Way of Life
Thursday, May 1st: missris
Friday, May 2nd: A Novel Review
Monday, May 5th: Always With a Book
Tuesday, May 6th: From the TBR Pile
Wednesday, May 7th: Time 2 Read

2 comments:

  1. I almost bought this book but now I definitely will buy it! Great review.
    Cindy
    allaboutabook.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a wonderful review! I'm so happy that this book was such a perfect fit for you!

    Thanks for being a part of the tour.

    ReplyDelete